Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Hope in the COVID Storm of 2020

This has been quite a year. Last year I would not have guessed that a plague-like disease would attack and affect the entire world. 

I really don't want to focus on the negative here. But let's just say there has been plenty that has happened that greatly saddens me. I know each of us could give a laundry list of issues. It's definitely been a storm of epic proportions.

Last Christmas season, I attended a meeting in which the leader instructed us to ask the Holy Spirit for a word to help us in the coming year. He gave me the word, "HOPE".

I have leaned on and claimed this word so many times in the last year, it isn't funny. I needed it to get me back on track. I needed the peace it gave me. I needed it when it was clear that truth was being pushed aside for deception. I needed it when I wondered why God was allowing this plague to go on so long.

What a storm!


Normally, when the church talks about being prepared for storms, I think of those that affect us personally. And in the midst of those disruptions of my normal life, it is difficult to look beyond my personal woes or needs. But there are times when storms, especially physical ones, affect many others. Think of hurricanes and tornadoes. Was there such a storm in the Bible?

Yes.

In Mark 4, the disciples and the boats that followed them were all affected by the same storm. It came on them suddenly. Some of them were experienced navigators in that sea...they knew the way the lake waters could act in a storm...they knew their boat. Yet, this storm was different from others. From the passage, we know that it brought fear of death to those in the boat with Jesus. Can you imagine the fear the people in the other boats experienced? They didn't have Jesus with them.

And those with Jesus? They knew Jesus had power to heal. And He spoke with an authority about God in a way they had never heard before. But this storm pushed all that aside and brought on a fear of destruction. All they knew of Jesus, all they had experienced with Him was thrown overboard. 

They didn't understand that God was watching after them and would protect them. They didn't get that Jesus had more ministry ahead of Him. They didn't trust that no matter what happened God would be there with them because they had Jesus on board. In the end, these men got through that storm with Jesus, and faced many other encounters.

Just like these men, we will get through our current global storm. I know I speak for many when I say that I don't wish this storm to ever happen again. The questions we have to think about right now are...Is Jesus in my boat of life? Have I kept everything I know about Jesus with me or thrown it overboard? Do I trust Him in this storm? Do I trust Almighty God to do what is right (no matter what that is)? 


Hope is for all who believe in Jesus. Where are you placing your hope?

2 comments: