Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Admitting A Wrong

 

In my younger years, I took pleasure in being right. If I was told I did something wrong, I'd argue with my accuser and give some reason for my actions. I don't remember ever saying I was wrong. It was extremely hard to admit I had erred.

Then one day I witnessed someone admit a wrong. She immediately went her way without any embarrassment or shame on her face. It baffled me.

So, I decided to try it. The next time I was accused of a wrong then I would admit it. That is, if that time ever came. Sure enough...it did. My nerves were on fire and my stomach was doing flips. Taking a deep breath, I quickly said those tough words.

To my surprise, an amazing thing happened.

A weight was lifted from my shoulders. I felt a freedom I did not know was missing. 

It had been so hard to say those words because I felt it would weaken me. In my thinking, I  assumed it would also negatively change how others perceived me. Without realizing it, I fulfilled Proverbs 21:2 which states that man sees his own way as right. Like so many who hold my former way of thinking, to admit wrong feels like something within them will break. Perhaps that's why a multitude of people still act and think that anything they do is the right thing. (See Judges 21:25)

But I'm here to say, that thinking is a lie from the enemy of God.

There is freedom and hope in admitting a wrong.

To this date I admit wrongs done. Sometimes to myself, sometimes to a person, sometimes only to Jesus. Each time I express guilt, the freedom grows.

I know it's not easy. Sometimes the best things in life are not easy to do. Sometimes we have to take a deep breath and dive in. Saying you're wrong can be one of those. I can't make you do it, but I can tell you, you'll be glad when you do. There's nothing like the freedom you get when you admit a wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment