Wednesday, January 6, 2021

What? I'm Wrong?

Have you ever been so certain that you were right that you put everything you have into some action or some way of thinking? Then you see it fall apart in front of you? What do you do with that? For years I took pleasure in being right. If I was told I did something wrong, I'd reasoned and gave excuses for my actions. I don't remember ever saying I was wrong. It was extremely hard to admit I was wrong.

Then one day I witnessed someone admit a wrong. She immediately went her way without any embarrassment or shame on her face. It baffled me.

So, I decided to try it. The next time I was accused of a wrong then I would admit it. That is, if that time ever came. Sure enough...it did. My nerves were on fire and my stomach was doing flips. Taking a deep breath I said those tough words quickly, almost spitting them out.

To my surprise, an amazing thing happened.

A weight was lifted from my shoulders. I felt a freedom I did not know was missing. 

It had been so hard to say those words because I felt it would show I was weak. I thought it would lower how others looked at me. Sometimes there was a disbelief that I could be wrong. No way. Sometimes I've even thought I had heard the Lord direct in one way, but I was wrong. Like so many others, I wanted to be right, but it turned out to be my own thoughts. Scripture tells us about this. Proverbs 21:2 says that man sees his own way as right. To admit wrong, feels like it will break something inside of us. That's why we still act and think that anything we do is the right thing. (See Judges 21:25)

But, I'm here to say that is a lie from the enemy of God.

There is freedom and hope in admitting a wrong.

To this date I admit wrongs done. Sometimes to myself, sometimes to a person, sometimes only to Jesus. Each time I express guilt, the freedom grows.

I know it's not easy. Sometimes the best things in life are not easy to do. Sometimes we have to take a deep breath and dive in. Saying you're wrong can be one of those. I can't make you do it, but I can tell you, you'll be glad when you do. There's nothing like the freedom you get when you admit being wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment