Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Independence Day

What do you think of when you see or hear the words Independence Day? Do you think of the Revolutionary War and people dying for a cause? Or, do you think of the action packed 1996 movie in which the world was given a reason to celebrate Independence Day? Or, do you think of bar-b-ques, swimming pool parties and fireworks? Normally that's the first thing that pops into my mind, and I hope to enjoy some of those this week.


But there's another concept that came to me just this past week when it comes to Independence Day and it has nothing to do with the Fourth of July. It's my independence day. It’s the day I declared my independence from temptation, from sin, from the pressures of worldly pleasures. I announced that I wanted Jesus in my heart and as a result gained His ticket to heaven. It’s my spiritual birthday, which also happens to be the same date as my physical birthday, April 7.

Do you have an Independence Day? Can you say you are free from the pressure of trying to keep up with all the new fads? Do you keep up with fashions because you like them or because you want to be like everyone else? I don't want anyone to feel I am singling them out, but everyone has something they struggle with when it comes to the way the world functions.

Can you say, "no," to any activity, or thing, and know you are still worthy and loved by God?

The more time I spend studying the Bible and focusing on my walk with God the easier it becomes to say, "No," and the less pressure I feel to conform to the way the world thinks. The day I realized that the pressure was gone was a liberating experience. There is no struggle of what to do, of what to think, of what to say to others. I'll admit some of this freedom came suddenly while the rest came slowly. Time with God only solidifies my stance.

Our world is quickly changing and becoming more and more like the days of Lot and Noah. We need a life-line to hold on to, to know where we need to stand, to be free to be ourselves and who God created us to be. I encourage any of you who still struggle with the world to talk to God. Ask for help. Read His Word - the Bible - for direction and confirmation. There is nothing like being free and celebrating your own Independence Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment