Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Danger Ahead

I believe the Lost In Space robot would be flailing its arms and rolling toward us at the top of its volume setting with the words, "Warning, warning..." In reading Joel Rosenberg's blog two weeks ago my worst fear seems to be coming to light. (His more recent one is more comforting.)

The U.S. is bringing upon itself the curse of not being on Israel's side. This is scary. I don't want God's wrath on me or the land I live in. But, if our leadership doesn't wake up and stop the country from going down the road we are on that's exactly what will happen.

My question is where is the Christian voice? Where is the American Jewish voice? Do we not see the importance, like it or not, of being an ally to Israel? Are we complacent about who does or doesn't like us because we don't have to fight daily for what we believe? Do we have rose-colored glasses on because we stay in our church clique so that we are unaware of what's happening in the world around us? Or do we really not care because the unrest is happening on the other side of the world and not on our home turf?

We need to remember that our country has the reputation of being a Christian nation and stands out above the other countries that once held that title. I wish I could say my country is strong in their faith in Jesus. How much better would it be if our country was known for doing kind actions, whether it's feeding the poor or fighting terrorists, because we love Jesus and want to show others His love?

But we don't.

I'm sad because this country thinks better of itself than it should. I don't want my country to suffer because then I would suffer. It's a pretty selfish fear-filled thought, I know. If I could think about the threat of being on the wrong side of God's wrath with the expansion of heaven in mind, I'd remember that only when we go through struggles and hard times do we turn to God. Only when there is no way out and hopelessness reigns does man finally put his trust in Jesus.

If going down this unfortunate path will bring millions more to heaven's way of thinking then maybe it will be worth it. Still, wish our leadership would wake up and halt the terrible turn we're about to make. But it's important to keep in mind that as many times as Israel had to suffer for their wayward ways, God did not abandon them. He kept them ever in His mind. Then I have the hope that He will do that for all us Gentile believers who have fallen down on the job.

1 comment: