Thursday, November 6, 2014

What's the Therefore There For?

Have you ever looked at 2 Thessalonians 1:11? Paul is writing to the Thessalonians and tells them, "Therefore we also pray always for you that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of His goodness and the work of faith with power,..." (2 Thessalonians 1:11)(NKJV)
 
A friend asked me to prepare a devotional thought on this verse and I have to admit at first it left me a little perplexed as to its meaning. But then I remembered a lesson I received many years ago. . .when you see "therefore" go back and see what it's there for. So I did. I read the whole chapter. Turns out, it's a wonderful blessing written by Paul.

In essence he's saying, "You're doing a great job and we're bragging on you. Don't worry about what you're going through because those who are trying their best to put you down and tear up your families, homes and businesses are going to find themselves in the middle of destruction and far from anything God has to offer. Also, because you've been doing a good job up to now we're praying that God keeps giving you the power and faith to complete all your desires to do this good work. In this way you can glorify Jesus and He can glorify you."

With this message in mind, I come away with a couple of thoughts. One, God gives me the strength to continue striving to be His example before others no matter what life throws my way. And for the record, one thing I've learned is that what one person sees as a huge persecution is nothing  to someone else. It's all in what we can individually handle. God knows this. He knows us better than we know ourselves. In fact, He's there through each little or big struggle helping us to succeed.

And, secondly, that old adage of troubles showing where you truly stand with God is reflected in this scripture. Troubles and frustrations, which I'd rather not have, aren't there to add stress to my life. They are opportunities to show love to my fellow believers; to show tolerance, love and guidance to those who have yet to find Jesus; to bring glory to God because no matter the outcome He walks through those troubling times with me.

All I can say is, "Ouch." I don't always remember this. Unfortunately, I know I don't pass the test every time. And when I compare my dealings to the persecutions believers on the other side of the world deal with, I feel as small as a mouse. But then I remember, God knows this. And He's there for each of us in each struggle we face cheering us on to be a shining light to those who live in our circle of life and thus bringing glory to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment