Thursday, September 4, 2014

It's Here

What's here? The time to wake up and smell the weeds. I say weeds because to say roses would imply that things are sweet. And, they are not sweet. We need to look around and stop pretending that the awful things written in the Biblical book Revelation will never happen.

I know that sounds fatalistic but have you been listening to the news? There are so many people being killed because of their faith and refusal to follow ISIS or Hamas. Some networks tell it all, while others play it down. If you only listen to the local news that's all you're going to hear... local news. I follow Joel Rosenberg's blog and my eyes have been opened to so much more as a result.

If you follow the link above you'll read about believers in Iraq being killed by ISIS. Not just killed but beheaded and crucified. Hello. Did you know those actions were still in practice today? Most of us probably didn't, but now there's a video floating around the internet showing the recent beheading of an American reporter.

Years ago when I read the book of Revelation for the first time I scoffed at the word 'beheaded' (20:4). My thinking was, "no one does that anymore; John was wrong when he saw that." I admit that was very naive of me. But I truly thought modern man was beyond beheading, hanging or crucifying people to death. Now, years later I find out I'm wrong.

Hearing of the recent beheadings alone tells you that we are in the midst of the beginning stages of what's to come. I don't want anyone to be scared in any way. On the one hand it is an atrocity to hear of these things happening. On the other hand, the Bible tells us how bad things will get as we head into the years before and during the Tribulation.

We have options to take now. We could run into the streets yelling, "The sky is falling and the world is coming to an end. Save yourselves. Run away from the city and hide." We could sock away stock piles of food and supplies to last another lifetime. Or, we can go before God Most High and ask Him for directions, as well as for peace.

As bad as things seem to be getting I have to realize that God is in control. Read Revelation 6:9-11. Those who died because of their faith ask when will their blood be avenged. God's reply is the clincher. There is a certain number of fellow servants and believers that God is waiting to be completed. Until then He waits.

What should we do as we hear about these deaths? I don't know about you but I will continue to pray for believers in Iraq and Syria. For that matter, throughout all the Arab nations. As I posted earlier there are Jesus followers even in Muslim countries. Let's not let our fellow believers down by ignoring the fact that their lives are threatened with death.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I've been struggling with this and needing some direction. I've been praying about these believers, the leaders and our leaders and my take and direction on this. I need to go back an reread Revelations. I don't want to be naive and go about my normal life with my family, but I also don't want to live in fear everyday wondering what will happen for my family. It worries and scares me to think the boys will have to live thru this and how they will feel. I just want to guard them from all this evil I see stirring up. I know in the end of all the trials and tribulations, we will all be together again and with God in Heaven. So I need to keep my mind set on that and trust his direction with all this.

    ReplyDelete