Friday, February 28, 2014

Behind the Words

"What did she really mean when she said that?" Have you asked that question before? I know I have. When you pray the Lord's prayer, have you ever felt there was more to it than the obvious words you're speaking? Frankly, I didn't until I read Listening to the Language of the Bible by Lois Tverberg.

Right from the beginning, there's more behind the first two words, "Our Father," than you might realize. Take note that Jesus didn't just start with Father or My Father. He started the example prayer with reminding the people that God is the Father to all of Israel not just himself. According to Lois it also reminded the people that we need to pray as a group, not just separately.

What I didn't know was that there were several corporate prayers in place that began in the same way. But, as I see it, this time Jesus makes it personal for them. The people have heard Jesus referring to God as "my father in heaven"; a phrase the Messiah was expected to call God because of his close relationship to him. Did you know this was one of the Messianic prophecies? (2 Samuel 7) I didn't.

So, Jesus who has been calling God my father turns to the people and says our father. It's like your best friend's mom saying, "Don't call me Mrs. Jones. Call me mom." Do you think the people understood that they could have the same close relationship? And Jesus didn't stop with reminding us to pray as a group or calling God, Father. He reminded us that when we speak to God we need to remember his name is to be kept holy.

This is easy to say. But do we keep God's name holy all the time? Do we respect it and view it with awe and wonder? In everything we do? I'm sure most of us watch our words so that we show this respect. But is there more we can do?

In scripture, names are important because it's part of a person's reputation. And not just the name but the meaning behind it. Today the meanings of names are often not considered when a baby is named. But, back in the days of the Bible it was very important. I have to admit my name held no significant meaning to me until a pastor explained it. . .then I was blessed to have a name of blessing.

My eyes were opened when Lois pointed out that our actions, which are said to speak louder than words, can often bring more disgrace and dishonor to God's name than anything else. Most people think curse words dishonor God's name, and this is true. It shows little respect for the God we worship. But, according to the lesson in Lois's book we need to consider our actions.

I'd never thought of sinful or thoughtless actions as being a form of failure in keeping God's name holy. Now I've learned that watching my words isn't enough. I need to watch my actions. When I don't forgive someone I dishonor God's name of Forgiver. When I place my activity above taking the time to go to a friend in need I fail to honor God's name as Healer and Friend. The more I think about it, the more shortcomings there are in keeping God's name holy. Ouch. Keeping a good name for God should be at the core of our words and our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment