Friday, September 13, 2013

Blessings

How many times a day do you speak a word of blessing into someone's life or actions? A kind word? A word of thanks? A word of positive acknowledgement? There are so many ways to do it. Now here's a bigger question. . .how many times a day do you speak a blessing to God?

Recently I found that the word "praise" and the word "bless" in the Psalms are interchanged depending on the Bible translation. It comes from a word (barak; berakh) whose root meaning speaks to kneeling in adoration, blessing, praising, saluting, thanking. What I found so interesting when reading Listening to the Language of the Bible was how and why the Hebrew people would bless the Lord. Think of the things you praise God for and where you do it.

The Hebrews did it everywhere. Do you bless God for thunderstorms? The Hebrew people did because it showed his power and strength. Did you know they also blessed him when the trees and plants brought forth flowers? It acknowledged him as creator and provider. And when a wedding, or birth, or something else joyous happened they blessed him for allowing them to live long enough to see the day come and go.

That all seems rather natural and appropriate, but they went further in their blessings. They blessed him as they woke and dressed. Thankful for bodies that worked and God's provision of clothes. And one I find hardest of all, in the midst of grief, when something terrible happened, they blessed him anyway. Giving him credit as a righteous judge.

Do you bless God this often? I remember hearing my mom thanking God every morning she awoke to a new day. I have to admit the first time I heard her do this I was struck with doubt as to the need of it. But she was in the right. None of us are guaranteed to awaken in the morning with the same bodily function as was present the night before. Or, with all our possessions about us.

I found the more I thank God for events and activities the easier it was to see his hand working in my life. He became more real, even in the little things. I see him more as a constant companion, going with me everywhere. I don't have to shout out for him to hear me and come running to see what my need is. He's already here. If I thank him or bless him as things happen I don't have to wait until Sunday to do it, and risk forgetting something.

He is real. Most of us know that. But thanking him continually brings blessings back to us and our lives. Blessing God, praising him each day in each moment allows us to sense his presence as a reality in our personal walk. If you don't believe me, start blessing God for the little things, for everything, and see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing brings contentment quicker than learning to thank and bless the Lord for each little thing in our day.
    Good advice, Lil!

    ReplyDelete