Monday, November 21, 2011

From The River of Refreshment to The Sting of Temptation

So Jesus is baptized by John in the river Jordan. His Father speaks from heaven, proclaims him as His Son and acknowledges He is doing a great job. (Matt 3) You would think that things are going to be smooth sailing for him. After all he has the favor of God in heaven.

But nooo, he is taken into the wilderness. He has to go without food, water, or comfort for 40 days, just like his ancestors did for their 40 years. (Matt 4)

And just when you think he has suffered enough, the enemy of God comes in and tempts him...telling him to make his own food out of rocks; prodding him to test God's angels to protect him from injury; offering him all the power and control of the kingdoms of the world in exchange for worship.

In each case Jesus spoke scripture and cut the enemy's argument down. He stood his ground. He remembered who he was and did not falter from that. He knew it was not going to be an easy road but he chose to ignore the draw of the human desires within him.

I need to remember this. I don't like it when things go awry, or temptations jump into my path. I like peace and stability. But I guess if Jesus had to face temptations and bumpy roads then it shouldn't be any surprise that it happens to believers. I just hope that the next time I have 'to deal' I will remember Jesus knows what it's like.

No comments:

Post a Comment