Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pharisees Again

Two weeks ago I wrote about Pharisees. Guess what the sermon was about this past weekend? I have to wonder, what message is God trying to get out?

The Sunday message included video clips of 'Christians' who instead of radiating God's love were shown as rule givers, lacking in compassion for victims while blaming illnesses and tragedies on the sins of the people affected. Their faces were filled with anger and sour expressions as they made their point. No sorrow was shown. No mercy. Like it or not the world sees the church as being represented by these people.

It all begs the question, 'Where's the love?' Jesus was asked about the greatest commandment in Mark 12:28-31. His reply hasn't changed. We're still to love the Lord our God completely, which means, as my mom says...to love from your guts. But we're also to love others, even our enemies. (Matthew 5:43-48)

You know, I didn't realize how much I loved myself in a self-centered way until God began asking me to do things that showed love to others. It's been a slow still-on-going process for me. It is a struggle to love the unlovable but I try. We each need to try, to the best of our ability. I admit it brings me relief knowing I don't have to be perfect, I just have to try.

In closing today, I would like to quote from Akiane, her life, her art, her poetry. The last paragraph states, "Akiane is convinced that the greatest gift we could give to God, who has everything and does not need anything except our love, is for us to love one another and walk in faith, day by day, hour by hour."

What a statement! Written that way, it was an 'I-get-it' moment for me. And, I will try everyday to remember that what I need to do is love God and love those He brings across my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment