Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Out With the Old and in With the New

Every autumn marks the beginning of a new school year. Depending on where you live, school starts either right before or just after Labor Day. It brings a sense of excitement to the season as something new is about to happen. It's the one thing that breaks up the warm fun-in-the-water days of summer.

When you think about it, autumn is a great time to start a school year. It reflects how everything is changing as the temperatures begin dropping to signal the impending winter months. Personally, I love the fall with the start of college football and the foliage colors transforming all around us. Of course for those of us in Texas, if we want color we have to find locations with deciduous trees whose leaves will help us see the beauty of the season. Fortunately, here in the Hill Country all we have to do is take a Sunday ride through the back roads or visit Lost Maples State Park (come early if you want to get in).

I digressed... Let's get back to where we were...

For many people each school year brings new schools and new friends. And while new is good and fun, change can be hard at times. Gone are the routines of the past.

Good or bad, routines are something we can count on... a stability of sorts with no unwanted surprises, almost to the point of boredom. In my case, I love some routine and cling to it when I can. There's nothing like following a repeated pattern and seeing it through to the end each time you start it, or always seeing the same object in the same place wherever that may be. But, to experience change now and then does keep me feeling fresh and alert.

So while I love routine, I have found God doesn't call us to a routine which can lead to indifference or being stagnant. He calls us to change. He wants us to always be moving forward whether it's in our personal life or walk with him.

It's my love of routine that has kept the same furniture and household items in my life for decades. But as we move our things back into place after renovating the house, I've found that it's time to change. This is a big step for me, but as I look back over my life I can see where change has made a difference. For example, if I had never left Texas to follow my husband in his military moves, I would never have learned the Biblical truths I now know.

So, I'm taking a lesson from the season and embracing the change happening in my home. Whether it's just at school or in some other avenue, may you also enjoy the changes this autumn brings to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment