Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Great Beginning

Have you ever wondered what happened before Genesis 1? Like you've missed the first part of the story?

In reading Lois Tverberg's book, Listening to the Language of the Bible, I learned something oh so interesting. "In the beginning" is the phrase that is translated from the Hebrew word "B'reisheet." The letter B that begins that word is the second letter of the Hebrew alphabet, not the first letter.

Symbolism fills the Hebrew alphabet and the letter B is no different. It's structured so that when read right-to-left, as is done in Hebrew, it has a closure on the right but an open end on the left. Lois wrote that many think this directs the reader toward the text to be read.

Lois also points out that the rabbis say that what comes before the second letter is for God to know and not for man to know.  So in military terms, on a need to know basis, man only needs to know what comes after the second letter of the alphabet. That's our part of the mission here on earth. John 16 and 1 Corinthians 2 and 13 all speak of this need to know level and when we'll know fully.

As a person who likes to find out the background of people, places, and things, I find this an interesting concept. One I gladly sit back and accept. I do, however, look forward to that day when Jesus pulls me away from the pages of history and tells me. . .here's the rest of the story.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've never heard this before. Sure was good seeing you at BR. Hope you had a great time. Wish we could have spent more time together. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. BR was incredible. I'm so glad you told me about it. Hopefully, I will be able to attend again sometime. I was so glad we got to talk the little bit we did. You were in great demand that week. It was so cool to see how many ladies gleaned from you and your experience.

    ReplyDelete