Thursday, February 28, 2013

Moving West

Have you ever had the urge to move west? Many cowboy movies associate moving west with adventure and discovery. And, back in the day I'm sure it was. What with trying to find water or land suitable for growing produce or raising cattle. Then having to fight marauders to keep your land. Living in wagons until houses could be built. It took certain personalities to make it work.

For many years I skipped over the part that mentions Abraham's father setting out for Canaan. But he never made it. Instead he settled in Haran.  I don't know if God called him to go or if he just thought to go there. But he never completes the trip.

Of course the story doesn't end there. God still wanted the family in Canaan. So he calls up Abraham to finish the trip. You might think this means that Abraham had what it took. That he was the perfect man, absent of any flaws. You need to keep reading the story of Abraham if you think that.

One thing he did do perfectly was to answer God's call to move west. He didn't tell God he was going to stay where things were easier. Instead, he moved away from the known green grasses of the Fertile Crescent. Away from the luscious rivers that fed the land. Away from family and friends to have over for dinner.

Moving west was a big step of faith. Would you have done it?

I know in some aspects I did it when I married a military man. Life away from family and in places that added to our cultural knowledge was not always easy. But in the midst of the struggles I grew in my faith and knowledge of God, just like Abraham did. For that I can never be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment