Wednesday, May 16, 2012

All of ME?

Do you know the song "Love the Lord" sung by Lincoln Brewster?  It's one of my favorites. And, it's based on a scripture Jesus quoted in Luke 10.

It talks about what to love the Lord with: your heart; your soul; your mind; your strength.  I have often wondered if there were any more parts of me for this love to encompass.

But, according to Listening to the Language of the Bible by Lois Tverberg, the Jewish interpretation isn't focused on the many parts of me but on the essence of my life.  Every movement, moment and thought should be on loving God.

Lois even mentioned that traditionally a further interpretation of "soul" is to even die for God.  I have been taught that only a few have the courage and strength to be martyrs.  But really, that should be a goal of our love for him...that we would sacrifice our lives for him.

The next time I sing that song the words will definitely have a different emphasis for me.

1 comment: