Wednesday, September 7, 2011

He Never Changes

God has always prepared my family for moves from one city to another, or from one church to another. We've asked and He's directed, with confirmations in tow.

He is also a never-changing God. So, how He treats me and my family now is the same way He has treated His beloveds over all the ages.

Many times lessons from Matthew 2:13-20 give the impression that Joseph took his family to a foreign land filled with only foreign deities, perhaps hiding out during the entire stay. But I found something that confirms everything I know about God the provider and shepherd.

At the time of Jesus, there remained a large number of Jewish refugees in Egypt. One city in particular stands out to me...Leontopolis. According to A Visual Guide to Bible Events the Jews in this area were a large group with much affluence. Among them were the relatives of the Zadokite priesthood, the true branch of priests, who continued their practice at a temple in that city. (To fully explain this significance would require several pages of historical information.)

In any case, can you see it now? God provided not only financial support but more importantly He provided moral support. If Simeon and Anna recognized him as an infant then you know priests who wanted to stay away from any corruption in the Temple in Jerusalem would recognize Him as soon as He entered their midst.

How wonderful to know that the time in Egypt was refreshing, restful, rejuvenating and reaffirming for the family before the years of trial ahead of them. I see it now as the eye of the storm. I know what God has done for me...I know He would do that much and more for His one and only Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment