Tuesday, August 9, 2011

To Pharisee or Not

While researching Biblical times I was struck with some awful similarities between pharisees and some modern day believers.
I knew the pharisees had all kinds of laws to help regulate the right and wrong of activities --upwards of 600 in fact. But the one that stood out was the interpretation of a Sabbath’s day walk, which it turns out was only about 1/2 mile. Can’t get too far with that hanging over your head! The odd thing is they expected everyone to follow all these rules and were highly critical of those who didn’t.
As I pondered this I was struck by the number of times in my past I looked down on people who did not attend church weekly; even belonging to a church whose active participants felt that all should be there whenever the doors were open.
Ouch! That’s hard to do even for someone who wants to be there. I must admit, I tossed the concept around in my head...until I went to visit my Grandma Elsie.
Often in our conversations I was perplexed why she refused to go to church, always finding various reasons why she couldn’t attend services. Then we went to visit her and my eyes were opened.
She lovingly accompanied us to church but explained she would have to sit in the back row. The back row held extra cushions, and afforded her the opportunity to get up and stretch her legs whenever sitting became too difficult, which she did...more than once during the sermon alone.
Ouch, again! What was I thinking - putting pressure on other people for not tolerating long services nor attending regularly. Who was I to judge why someone wasn’t there at church? Who was I to think that excuses for not attending were flimsy? Did I think of myself as better than so many others?
I now see I was no better than those Pharisees. During that time I was more of a pharisee-Christian than a Jesus-copying-Christian. Ouch again...not a pleasant analogy.
I goofed big time. I have confessed. I have been forgiven. And, now, I try to walk a little less condemning in that area especially.
One thing I have learned...what God lays down for me to follow and practice may not be what He has shown someone else. But, to him who much is given, much is expected...even if it is just knowledge. Luke 12:48

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment