Wednesday, August 3, 2011

God’s call to write a book has brought me to a place of challenge and blessings. The enormity of God’s request can be overwhelming for me, to a point of feeling defeated. A while back, as I wallowed in this struggle I attempted to distract myself by watching the movie, Evan Almighty. What I discovered was a revelation, a blessing filled with reassurance.
Just like Noah, God called Evan to build an ark – he was a newsman-made-politician for Pete’s sake. And, just like Noah...what did he know about building an ark?
Of course, in the movie, God supplied the materials and a book of instructions. Evan had to deal with criticism from his family, friends, and co-workers. But he persevered and eventually built the ark with the help of his family.
As I think about Noah, I realized he most likely had an enormous amount of obstacles and an increase in ridicule to overcome, probably very similar to the ones Evan experienced. It had to be quite a challenge! Can you imagine Noah’s thought process when he realized just how big a boat God asked him to build? I’m sure the boats used at that point were small vessels.
So, do you think that was in his comfort zone? To build an enormous ark? Being asked to write a book has been a similar experience for me. It is definitely not in my comfort zone.
I figure it this way, if Noah can meet his challenge of HUGE boat building, then I can certainly continue in my book writing. And the next time I get a “you’ve-got-to-be-kidding” look from someone when I tell them I’m writing a book, I’m I hope I think of Noah and his ark.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's neat that you are writing a book! I love reading your posts so far and your writing keeps my interest. Im not much of a reader so that's a lot to say. May also be because I'm picturing you "talking" to me, as I read it. Either way, keep it coming Nana! :) love you!!

    ReplyDelete